Recreation of Thorncrown Chapel

3ds Max and Maya  РModeling

Vray – Rendering

Building “Thorncrown Chapel” – Eureka Springs, Arkansas.







Light Balance:



Recreation of the Learn Vray course shaders within Maya – (Instead of 3ds Max)

Studio max has many advantages over Maya for shader creation, especially when it comes to procedural texturing. The alternative for detailed procedural texturing in Maya is to use a plugin like Filter Forge for Photoshop that can generate large tileable textures. It’s a some what poor work around but people like Alex Alvarez use this method to create detailed terrains in Maya/Mental Ray – see HERE. Hopefully Maya will some have better procedurals that work with renders like Vray, Arnold and Redshift soon.

Another annoyance is that curves in Maya don’t have bezier handles but, by using splines, the same result as in max, can be achieved.

Below I have replicated shaders from the “Learn Vray” course. See 3ds Max versions HERE.

I’ve scripted them into a UI which has formed an ever growing library. They need a little tweaking but I will do that as I use them. This is what I love about Maya – MEL and Python scripting.

Here’s how some of them look on the Learn Vray course shader ball, cloth and Gargoyle.

Eco Work Room

Another learning exercise – this time a recreation of a room from Home Design Magazine by Catherine Whitting – an Eco Interior. I changed alot of details but kept the overall color scheme and basic furniture arrangement.

Modeled in Maya.
Rendered in Vray for Maya.

Final Render

Light Balance

Something’s Gotta Give – Kitchen

As a learning exercise I’ve decided to model, texture and render a number of photos. The process will hopefully improve my rendering by giving me instant feed back on real world lighting and shading. The first photo I decided to replicate is a photo I found in a copy of “Home Beautiful”. It’s the kitchen from the movie “Something’s Gotta Give”.

There are quite a few things that are incorrect. Most notably the modeling was a bit rushed resulting in inaccurate beveling details and, to save time, my render settings were rather low resulting in all the grainy noise.

It’s a learning exercise so no need for perfection.

All modeling was done in Maya and rendering in Vray for Maya.

Here is my final render:

Here is the wire-frame for modeling:

Here is the lightbalance:

If I were to re-render the scene I have a good idea about what would need changing to up the realism and create a better match.

Here is the photo I was attempting to replicate using Vray for Maya. I have sourced the image from This Link: